Saturday, 6 August 2011

Diaper (nappy) case

Now that I made the roomy tote to take with me when out and about (see previous post), I realized that I needed smaller pouches for some stuff, so that I don't throw them in randomly and ending up with a mess!

After looking around the net for patterns and ideas, (and trying out a couple of them) I came up with my own design, as it seemed to work best for me.
First, here are the links that I found:
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/dipecase.html
http://www.noodle-head.com/2010/05/diaper-pouch-tutorial.html (this one is amazing and I'll definitely give it a try!)

Materials I used:
exterior fabric
lining fabric (an old white sheet)
fusible fleece for reinforcement
velcro


Cut a 18x56 cm piece of the exterior fabric 
Cut a slightly longer piece of the lining fabric (1-2cm longer)
You will need the extra cm to stitch the bottom part.
Cut two pieces of the exterior and lining fabrics. I cut them 10x14
Stitch a piece of velcro on the lining of the flap. 
Right sides together, stitch the lining on exterior of the flap. Velcro should be facing in. Turn inside out and iron. 
Iron fusible fleece on the wrong side of the exterior fabric. Fold in half, right sides in, and stitch the sides.  Turn inside out and iron. 
Pin the flap in the centre of the body, right sides facing, and stitch along the top 0.5cm..
After you stitch the flap on the exterior fabric, flip it over and mark where you need the other piece of Velcro on the front. Pin and stitch in place. 
Fold lining fabric in half and cut where it folds. Stitch along the long sides and, right sides facing, insert the body of the case in the lining.
Stitch all around the top about 0.5cm.  
Pull out the lining.
Now, fold and stitch the bottom part of the lining. 
This is what it looks like after it is sewn closed. 
And here's the whole pouch, before the lining is inserted in the body.

Now insert the lining in the exterior, tuck the corners in, and top stitch about  0.5cm from the top. 
And the pouch is ready! Here it is with three nappies in it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment